Feb 24 2013
Welcome to a brand new week!
We’re now 2 weeks from The Open and I thought I’d take a moment to answer some questions about it.
How does it work?
– Register online at the games site. You sign up as an individual and elect a team (if you qualify as an individual you get to choose if you want to go individual or team at regionals).
– On Wednesday the WOD is announced.
– On Saturday we’ll do the WOD at MTM at Noon.
– The WOD will be judged, you’ll submit a score online, and I’ll verify it.
Do I have to RX the WOD?
– Yes. But here is the thing, I don’t think it’s a bad thing if you’ve never done one of the movements in the WOD rx’d to give it a go. Last year Kristie had never done an rx’d Toe to Bar. They came up and Kristie spent nearly the entire WOD attempting and failing to get one. Over and Over. It was emotional. Then, through sheer determination, she did one! Followed by another 2 before time ran out. She didn’t win the WOD, she didn’t even finish one round, but the value of the competition pushed her to do something she had never done. It pushed her to hold a higher standard of movement. Kristie was better after doing that WOD. Now she rx’s T2B without thinking.
(Caveat: Kristie was pretty close to an rx’d T2B at the start of the WOD. If you’re on a black band for pull ups, don’t have double unders, and have never rx’d a WOD you’ll get a chance to scale the WODs and try them but The Open probably isn’t for you.
If you don’t have a muscle up or your thrusters suck or you don’t like double unders. The Open might give you the push you need to get them!)
How is it scored?
– You get a score for the WOD.
– Your ranked based on WOD score.
– You get points equal to your rank. 1pt for first, 10pts for tenth, etc.
– Over 5 WODs your points are added to form a final rank
– The top 48 Men, 48 Women, and 30 Teams move on to regionals
How do teams work?
– MTM CrossFit has a team. Everyone that does The Open from MTM will be on the MTM Team
– The top 3 men and 3 womens scores are added each WOD to form the MTM Team’s Score.
– Ranked against the other teams gives a point score like the individuals.
– The top 3 can change WOD to WOD
– to be eligible to compete on the team at Regionals an athlete must do at least one rep of every Open WOD.
Front Squat – of 3RM
50 Thrusters (45)
30 Pull Ups
Open Gym – 7A, 4:30P, 6:30P
Back Squat – 3×5 85% of 3RM
30 Double Unders
5 Wall Climbs